La Raza a small taqueria near Edmonds Community College in Lynnwood Washington that makes cream smothered Chimichanga. Let me just say that I'm aware that Chimichangas are no more Mexican than French toast is French. However, there's something very nice about deep fried tortilla with a heavy dose of cream. I think you could deep fry a Taco Bell burrito and smother it in cream and it would be edible (about the only way). Even though I like going to La Raza to pick up a Chimi at lunch I don't always like paying $10 per meal. Although the Chimichanga is large enough to share with someone else I don't always have someone there to share with.
So instead of spending $20 to take my family out for Chimichangas we make them ourselves. For $6.00 I made 7 Cream smothered Chimichangas or roughly 85 cents each. I get my 40% heavy cream from Cash and Carry, tortillas from anywhere, chicken on sale and the rice is dirt cheap no matter what.
Loose instructions for Chimichangas. There's no real recipe because it's largely done by taste.
- Roast 2 cloves of garlic and two Jalapenos on a comal
- Combine garlic and peppers in a food processor with a bit of salt to make a paste
- Add half lb of tomatoes and pulse
- Heat a little oil in a dutch oven and when hot add 1 cup of medium grain rice and cook 5 minutes
- Add tomato salsa from food processor and cook for 5 minutes
- Add 3/4 cup of water or broth and place in oven for 25 minutes
- Grill small strips of chicken breast pieces
- Pour 2 cups of heavy cream in fry pan on medium heat
- Add enough sour cream to thicken
- Add enough sugar to sweeten
- Combine refried beans on large tortilla with rice, chicken and shredded cheese and close with toothpicks
- Fry in deep fryer at 350 degrees until brown, turn over and repeat
- Place Chimichanga on plate and pour cream over
- Sprinkle paprika over cream
That's it really. Making the rice is the most work. If you double the rice recipe you can make these several times in a row or just eat the rice. For me this recipe made about 7 Chimichangas.