One part t my perfect American BBQ meal (the other parts are still being worked on). Everyone loves Macaroni Salad but with this rendition I try to liven it up a bit and play with flavor balances.
When you come across recipes on the Internet you don't know how good or bad they are so I'll put my 2 cents in here. This is the BEST macaroni salad I've ever had in my opinion. Naturally it's made for my tasted buds so you may not agree.
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 LARGE carrot shredded
- 1 LARGE red bell pepper (or 6 small sweet peppers) chopped
- 1 LARGE stick of celery finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 1 14oz can of Nestle La Lechera sweetened condensed milk*
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
1. Boil the noodles in 4 qts of salted water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
2. Shred the carrot using a food processor, chop the bell peppers, onion and celery finely.
3. Mix vegetables, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper and sweetened condensed milk together in large bowl and mix well.
4. Add cooled macaroni and place in the refrigerator. Let the flavors meld and eat the following day.
1. I've specified LARGE specimens of carrots, celery and bell pepper. If you only have small versions available your salad may appear to be a bit runny. You may want to cut back on the mayonnaise or sweetened condensed milk to get the consistency you desire.
2. I've specified a specific brand of sweetened condensed milk which I rarely do. I bought several different brands thinking it didn't matter and when I used them (Carnation) there was something a bit off in the salad. The milk was not the only thing I'd changed that time around so until I've verified that the milk can be swapped out I'm listing Nestle La Lechera which always works wonderfully and can be picked up at your local Mexican Market for much less than chain grocery stores sell it for.